Spanish Tortilla de Patatas
The translation of this classic dish from Spain is tortilla with potatoes or potato omelet. The Spanish to English translation of “tortilla” is “tortilla”. Seriously! But this isn’t your typical omelet or even frittata. Here’s my simple, vegan recipe for a savory meal that can be served any time of day, hot or cold. You can even follow the Spanish custom of mid-afternoon tapas and cut it into small triangles for a mid-afternoon snack.
A bit of patience is required to properly brown the mushrooms and thinly sliced potatoes. SO worth it. 🙂 Sauté in olive oil and vegan butter, add onion, garlic, salt, and a liberal sprinkling of your favorite vegan cheese and you have a meal fit for any time of day. I especially enjoy it for brunch. Disfrute! (Enjoy!)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Total Time: 35-40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Brunch, Lunch, Snack or Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Spanish
- Diet: Vegan
- 1/2 bottle of liquid Just Egg (vegan egg product)
- 6 or 7 portobello mushrooms
- 1 large or two small red potatoes, skin on
- Scallions, tops and bottoms, sliced
- 1/4 cup vegan mozzarella, shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons vegan butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel, slice lengthwise, then cut slices in half so you have bite size pieces
- Scrub the red potato clean, leave skin on. Thinly slice crosswise (the narrower side of potato), then cut slices into halves or quarters creating bite-size pieces.
- Heat olive oil and melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms and potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and flip occasionally.
- Turn heat down to medium low as the veggies begin to brown. Cook for 10 – 12 minutes, letting potatoes and mushrooms soften and brown.
- Add the sliced scallions, green tops and white bottoms. Sauté another 2-3 minutes.
- Distribute ingredients evenly in skillet, then pour Just Egg over them, being sure to fill all of the skillet.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat for 3-5 minutes. Do not stir or try to flip during this time. You want the tortilla to set. Check the bottom by lifting with a spatula.
- Once the bottom is lightly browned, sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top. Use a large spatula (or two smaller ones) and quickly flip the tortilla. Let cook for 3-4 minutes. Once cheese melts and begins to brown, flip the tortilla back over.
- Top with freshly ground pepper if desired.
- Transfer to a platter and cut into wedges. Yum!
Store leftovers in refrigerator for up to three days.
Substitute any vegan cheese.
For a thicker tortilla, double the potatoes and mushrooms and use the whole bottle of Just Egg. Use the same size skillet but cook 3-5 minutes longer when covered.
Keywords: spanish tortilla, vegan brunch, vegan omelette