Coconut Banana Cream Pie with Chai Sugar Cookie Crust
I love coconut cream pie. I also love banana cream pie. What’s a girl to do? Combine both of my favorites into one, of course! The addition of a chai spiced cookie crust creates a pie that is truly irresistible. Trust me, I am doing extra laps on my daily walks. 🙂
- 1/2 stick vegan butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
Pie Filling Ingredients
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons full fat oat milk
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, divided
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 1 cup of plant-based heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 large or 3 medium bananas, sliced
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Have an 8-inch pie pan ready but do NOT grease. There is enough fat in the crust; greasing the pan will result in an oily crust.
- Beat the softened butter with an electric mixer until fluffy, one to two minutes.
- Add the canola oil and beat again until it begins to combine.
- Beat in the sugars and spices until thoroughly combined but do not overmix.
- Add the applesauce and vanilla extract and beat again until well mixed.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat on low, adding remaining half after beginning to combine.
- Scrape the bottom of the bowl with a spatula and incorporate any dry patches of flour.
- Divide dough in half, shaping into discs.
- Chill for at least one hour.
- Roll one disc of dough out to the size of the pie pan.
- Roll up the circle of dough on rolling pin and then transfer gently to pie pan.
- Press dough gently along bottom and edges. Crimp edges if desired.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool thoroughly before adding pie filling.
- Empty can of coconut cream and whisk contents until thoroughly combined. Measure ¾ cup into a medium bowl.
- Add cornstarch to coconut cream and whisk until well mixed.
- Open can of coconut cream and mix until thoroughly combined. Measure 1 1/3 cups.
- Add coconut cream/cornstarch mixture, coconut milk oat milk, and sugar to a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly.
- Turn heat down to medium low and stir until mixture thickens almost to the consistency of pudding. Mixture will continue to thicken as it cools so do not overcook.
- Immediately remove from heat and stir in ½ cup shredded coconut, vegan butter, one teaspoon vanilla extract, and coconut extract.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl to begin cooling.
- Whip the plant-based heavy cream with a whisk or electric mixer, adding sifted powdered sugar and ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Gently fold the whipped cream into the pie filling.
- Transfer pie filling into pie crust and cover with plastic wrap.
- Chill for 3-4 hours.
- While filling is shilling (that rhymes!) toast the reserved ½ cup of shredded coconut by spreading it evenly on a baking sheet and baking for 5 to 7 minutes at 350 degrees F. Stir the coconut every few minutes so it browns evenly.
- Before serving top with sliced bananas and toasted coconut.
Pie Crust :
- If your pie pan is larger, use 1/3 of the reserved dough to make a larger crust.
Pie crust recipe is adapted from Joy the Baker, Taylor Swift’s Chai Sugar Cookies.
Pie filling recipe is adapted from Nora Cooks, Vegan Coconut Cream Pie.