Easy Weeknight Pasta Bake
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Total Time: 50-55 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Lunch
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 1/2 cups of unsalted, roasted macadamia nuts, divided
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups filtered water
- 1 pound of cavatappi
- 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
- Splash of olive oil
- 8 ounces of vegan feta cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 can diced tomatoes, drained (reserve juice for another use)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamias
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 2-quart casserole with olive oil.
- Heat 2 cups of filtered water either in a microwave or on the stovetop.
- Soak 1 cup of macadamia nuts in warm water for 20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Add pasta, ½ tablespoon of kosher salt and a splash of olive oil.
- Boil for 6-7 minutes, to your taste, then drain immediately, then return pasta to pot it was cooked in.
- Drain macadamias and transfer to a high-speed blender.
- Add ½ cup filtered water and process for 1-2 minutes until a smooth yet still slightly chunky consistency is achieved, adding more water one tablespoon at a time as needed.
- Add the macadamia mixture, cubed feta cheese, and spices to cooked pasta and stir gently to combine and begin to melt feta cheese.
- Next add the can of drained tomatoes and stir again just to incorporate.
- Transfer mixture to casserole dish.
- Blend the breadcrumbs and reserved ½ cup of macadamias in a blender for 30 seconds to a minute, just until crumbly. Be careful not to blend too long or you will have butter instead of a crumb topping! Sprinkle over casserole.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
Cavatappi is great for this recipe but use any type of pasta you like.
It’s fine to substitute cashews for macadamias.
My favorite brand of vegan feta is Violife.
Freshly grated parmesan is best. Again, Violife is my top pick.
Keywords: vegan pasta bake, feta cheese pasta, plant-based pasta bakes