I am adding anti-inflammatory ingredients, especially turmeric, to everything I can these days with the goal of lessening the symptoms of my autoimmune disease. Soup is always a favorite so I loaded this recipe with super foods including ginger, carrots, red and green cabbage and LOTS of turmeric. To our health!Print
Shortcut Saturdays : Lori’s Anti-Inflammatory Veggie Soup
- 1 –2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/3 cups red onion, chopped (1/2 large onion)
- 3 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2–3 celery tops
- 1 2/3 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 1/2 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons curry
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced or pressed
- 2 15–ounce cans black beans (3 cups), rinsed
- 3–4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- Pour one tablespoon of olive oil to a large stock or soup pot (6-8 quarts) and place over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, reduce heat to medium low and sauté just until they begin to soften.
- After a few minute, add the cabbage and carrots and continue to sauté for another 3-5 minutes. Add more olive oil if needed.
- Once the veggies begin to soften, add the ginger through garlic and continue to cook over medium low for 2-3 minutes, allowing the seasonings to coat the veggies. Enjoy the aromas!
- Next add the beans and broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Finally add the coconut milk and heat through.
- If you like more broth in your soups, add the additional cup of veggie broth.