How about savory meatballs dressed up with sweet and sour sauce with chunks of pineapple for dinner? Pretty good, huh? But waitâ€¦thereâ€™s more! Ladle them over a bowl of steaming pasta and youâ€™re in for a real treat! I use Beyond Meatâ€™s meatballs, canned pineapple, Trader Joeâ€™s Italian artisan pasta, and home made sweet and sour sauce. Feel free to use a jar of sweet and sour if you have it on hand. And if you have fresh pineapple, by all means use that Just keep in mind youâ€™ll need Â¾ cup of pineapple juice if youâ€™re making the sweet and sour sauce.
Prep Time: 30 minutes (add 15 minutes if youâ€™re making the sweet and sour sauce).
Serves: 2-3 people. Expecting more for dinner? Simply double the recipe.
- 1 package Beyond Meat meatballs
- Â½ to 1 tablespoon olive oil, DIVIDED
- 1 package dry pasta of your choice *See Notes
- Â½ to 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 can of pineapple tidbits or chunks in 100% juice
- 1 Â½ cups of sweet and sour sauce, bottled or homemade, see recipe below
- Fresh organic parsley
- In a large skillet heat Â½ tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add meatballs and lower heat to medium.
- Brown meatballs evenly by frequently turning them with tongs or a spatula while cooking. This will take around 10 minutes.
- While meatballs are browning, heat 4 quarts of water in a large stock pot.
- When water comes to a boil, add kosher salt and remaining tablespoon of olive oil to water, then add pasta.
- Follow directions for al dente pasta. Remember it will continue to cook after drained and you donâ€™t want mushy pasta with your meatballs!
- Drain pasta well, then return to stockpot.
- Drain the canned pineapple and reserve the sauce. Use it in your sweet and sour sauce if making that at home OR save for another recipe. Tip – it makes a great addition to smoothies!
- Once meatballs are nicely browned, stir in the sweet and sour sauce and pineapple tidbits or chunks and cook for a few more minutes to heat thoroughly.
- Fill serving bowls about 2/3 full of pasta.
- Ladle meatballs and sauce over pasta.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and dig in!
Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons organic rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup light brown or coconut sugar
- 3 tablespoons organic ketchup
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons water, if needed
- Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Add all other ingredients to a small saucepan and cook over medium low heat for about 5 minutes, just until it begins to simmer.
- Whisk in the cornstarch mixture and cook for another few minutes.
- If sauce is too thick, add one to two tablespoons of water to thin it out.
*Notes on the pasta: I chose Trader Joeâ€™s artisan pasta which comes in a 500 gram package (1 lb., 1.6 ounces) package. I decided to cook the entire package knowing I probably wouldnâ€™t need all of it for this recipe. I was right! I used the leftover pasta as a delicious addition to a batch of vegetable soupâ€¦yum. Another of my favorite brands of pasta is De Cecco. Cavatappi would be perfect for this recipe. Donâ€™t want the extra pasta? Just use half of the package/box.