Mini Pecan Tarts
Known as pecan tassies in the south, these miniature pecan tarts are nestled in a buttery cream cheese pastry and baked until the filling is bubbling and golden brown. Equally delicious warm out of the office or cold from the fridge the next day. Drizzle with chocolate to make them even more fancy!
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Chill Time: 30 minutes to overnight
- Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
- Total Time: One hour and 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 dozen 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 4 oz. vegan butter
- 4 oz. vegan cream cheese
- 1 cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon egg replacer
- 1 tablespoon applesauce
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, organic
- 1/4 cup agave syrup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Blend butter and cream cheese until well combined.
- Add flour, ½ cup at a time and blend just until combined.
- Shape into a disc, wrap in parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Take chilled dough out of refrigerator.
- Prepare the filling while the dough comes to room temperature.
- Melt tablespoon of butter in microwave for 20 seconds. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl mix one tablespoon of egg replacer with two tablespoons of water. Let thicken for a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the brown sugar, agave syrup, and maple syrup.
- Add the melted butter, egg replacer, applesauce, vanilla extract, and pinch of salt, stirring until well mixed.
- Finally, stir in the chopped nuts.
- Use your hands to roll pastry into one-inch balls and place in mini muffin tins or use a cookie scoop to make the process easier and more uniform.
- Press dough evenly from bottom to edges of the cup, working quickly so as not to overheat the pastry dough.
- Spoon filling into pastry cups until about 2/3 full, being careful not to overfill.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes. You want the pastry to be lightly browned and the filling bubbly and just beginning to caramelize.
- Remove from oven and let cool on wire racks for a few minutes, then carefully remove from pan and allow to cool.
Store in refrigerator for up to five days.
Optional: Once completely cooled, drizzle with melted vegan chocolate.
Keywords: vegan holiday desserts, plant based desserts, vegan holiday tarts, pecan tarts, holiday desserts