Sunday Southern Comfort: Biscuits and Gravy
Am I the only person who occasionally craves biscuits? Better yet, biscuits topped with gravy. There’s something truly comforting to me about flaky biscuits warm from the oven topped with rich, creamy gravy studded with crispy bits of browned veggie sausage. Looking for fast food vegan biscuits is a futile pursuit in my town. Just as well. It is healthier for my body and wallet – and surprisingly satisfying – to make them at home. If you have the craving, read on! I made these recipes as easy as possible. Mainly because I was starving!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
- Total Time: 40-45 minutes
- Yield: 12 biscuits, 3 cups gravy 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Bake and Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 3/4 cup full fat oat milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cane sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup vegan butter, very cold (not butter spread)
- 1 package LiteLife vegan ground sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter (not butter spread)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Ground white or black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Measure the oat milk in a glass measuring cup.
- Add the teaspoon apple cider vinegar; stir and set aside.
- In a large missing bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Grate the butter over the flour mixture.
- Use a fork or pastry blender to mix the butter with dry ingredients until the flour mixture resembles sand.
- Add the oat milk a few tablespoons at a time and mix in very gently. Add the milk to dry sections of the butter and flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Drop by large spoonfuls onto baking sheet.
- Bake 17-20 minutes; they are ready when the tops of the biscuits begin to brown.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sausage, breaking it up into smaller pieces with a spatula or pastry blender.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes over medium low heat, stirring frequently so it browns evenly.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes.
- Using your fingers, crumble the cooled sausage into small pieces.
- Return skillet to the heat and add the unsweetened soy milk and butter.
- Sprinkle the flour over the gravy while stirring.
- Crush the rosemary and thyme and add along with salt and pepper,
- Cook for 7-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as preferred.
For both the biscuits and gravy, you can substitute any unsweetened plant-based milk. I like the richness of full fall oat milk as well as unsweetened soy milk and cashew milk.
Be sure to choose a solid vegan butter instead of a spread. Spreads contain additional water and will not yield the same results. Miyokos continues to be my favorite butter for baking.
I used LiteLife brand of veggie sausage but you can substitute your favorite or what you have on hand.
Keywords: vegan biscuits, veggie sausage gravy